Surazc – Death Knight Tank
Recap: Normalization Doesn’t Create Balance
Because it was TL and you DR’d
I know that was a LOT of posts to read, and to anyone who actually plowed through that behemoth of a saga, I congratulate and thank you.
Allow me to list, in order, the summarizations of each section and what they mean when tied together:
- For a game to be successful, the players of that game must be happy or they will not pay for the game. Ergo, game companies must keep their players happy to keep making money.
- Listening to the community of players who play your game is essential to maintaining a working game. Players are the ones paying for your game.
- The more players you have, the more restrictive your rules must be. Players are greedy and you can’t keep everyone happy.
The main focus of these three points is simply that a game must make its players happy and make them want to keep playing if the game will generate revenue for the company that runs it. Games that do not accept community input are ignoring the will of the community and are more prone to failing than their counterparts. It also touches on the idea that players are greedy and you can’t keep everyone happy all the time.
- The D&D warrior is NOT the D&D fighter because of HOW they put points in their class to determine what they do.
- Warriors are NOT Death Knights and should NEVER work like them, as it is against the initial design concept of the Warrior.
- Balancing classes according to their role is BAD GAME DESIGN
- Blizzard has balanced the Warrior class tanking role by changing shield wall — a defining protection warrior skill/talent — into a Death Knight skill.
- The misuse of a skill given to Death Knights has led to warriors finding it desirable. Blizzard has chosen to, in essence, give warriors a death knight ability.
- SoE removed the individuality of the classes by balancing them to roles centered around ONE class. As a result, they lost 85% of their players. The remaining 15% would slowly leave over the next 10 weeks.
This saga has focused more on what Blizzard is doing with the warrior class as a result of uneducated trolling on the WoW forums, as compared to a game that did EXACTLY the same thing. Mind, SoE w/ SWG was a game-wide change and blizzard is — so far — only adjusting DKs and Warriors.
Expect more mind-numbing changes and individuality sapping alterations in the next couple of patches.
Click here for the Normalization Does not Balance Make saga in its entirety.