Surazc – Death Knight Tank
With the 3.1.0 PTR patch notes currently live at MMO Champion, it is my duty to share with you my thoughts on the Death Knight changes, not only from the perspective of tanking, but from the class as a whole (with of course, an emphasis on tanking).
Let’s start with:
- Strangulate – “Reduces the CD on strangulate down to 1 minute.”
- Finally! Range is NOT an issue because of Death Grip. Mostly a PVP change
- Icebound Fortitude – “Your Icebound Fortitude now always grants at least 30% damage reduction regardless of your defense skill”
- This hints at a couple changes to the IBF skill itself. The Runic Power cost has probably been removed and they’ve reduced (or removed) the amount of % damage reduction granted for free. Potentially bad alteration
- Unbreakable Armor – “Increases the amount of damage absorbed by UbA by 1%”
- With the mechanic of UbA changing, it is unknown as of yet whether or not this is a good change.
- Plague Strike – “Your Plague Strike does 60% additional damage”
- Is this supposed to make up for the Plague Strike changes? Pathetic. Barely a DPS upgrade… but a DPS upgrade.
- Death Strike – Good to see this reverted to its original implementation. Blood DKs can now stack their runic power to hell and back without fear of being inefficient. Mostly a PVP change
- NEW – Hungering Cold – “Reduces the cost of Hungering Cold by 10 runic power”
- I see this as mostly a PVP alteration. Given the new position of Hungering Cold in the Frost tree, we do not yet know if the skill itself has been altered.
- NEW – Unholy Blight – Increases the Duration by 10 seconds
- Bomb Glyph. This essentially allows you to death coil something without fear of not having enough RP left over for your next UB
- NEW– Death Coil – “Reduces the cost of Death Coil by 8 Runic Power”
- A direct copy of the Frost Strike glyph. Lazy coding and not worth it for Blood spec. Maybe Unholy can make better use of this.
- NEW – Pestilence – “Your Pestilence ability now refreshes disease durations on your primary target back to their maximum duration”
- Oh my god. This is an ESSENTIAL glyph for ANY Death Knight to have. Changing ONE blood rune into TWO guaranteed disease refreshes is TOO efficient. Expect to see this glyph changed or removed quickly
- NEW – Howling Blast – “Howling Blast now infects your targets with Frost Fever”
- Not sure if this is good or not. It all depends on if the Fever debuff is added BEFORE or AFTER damage calculations. What with the new position of Howling Blast in the tree (Point 51) this glyph may be never used.